‘Cybersecurity event’ disrupts operations at Star-Tribune

CASPER (WNE) — A ‘cybersecurity event’ has disrupted many of the systems and networks this week at Lee Enterprises, the parent company of the Star-Tribune and dozens of other newspapers, the company’s CEO confirmed Friday night.
“We are now focused on determining what information — if any — may have been affected by the situation,” CEO Kevin Mowbray said in an email to company employees. “We are working to complete this investigation as quickly and thoroughly as possible. “We have notified law enforcement of the situation.”
Mowbray said he could not speculate on details because the incident is under investigation “and we will not be able to share information that could compromise our investigation or any investigation by law enforcement.”
He added that the company is working to identify “additional steps we can take to help prevent something like this from happening again.”
His email did not say when the problems would be fixed.
Lee Enterprises owns newspapers across 24 states, along with marketing services, digital publications and weekly and specialty publications.
The company’s computers were hit Monday morning, and many of Lee’s newspapers initially were not able build pages and publish, though the company has been working to print and deliver back issues.
Production of the Star-Tribune, which publishes print editions on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays was delayed, although last week’s newspapers have since been printed.
Despite delays of the Star-Tribune’s print edition, stories have been published throughout the week at trib.com and through the mobile app.
This story was published on February 13, 2025.