History of Wyoming National Guard in Newcastle

By: 
Della Fordyce

 

Submitted by Della Fordyce

 

The Wyoming National Guard was organized in 1869, while Newcastle’s first national guard organized in 1899. For many years, the Newcastle National Guard rented buildings before a more permanent structure was built. The first armory of Newcastle was built in 1913 for $14,800, and it was the first armory built by Wyoming state funds. 

The armory was constructed of native sandstone by a local mason, J. L. Sundstrom, and the building was located near what is now the News Letter Journal

In 1960, Battery A moved into the current armory (Forestry Service building). The Anna Miller Museum building was built for the Wyoming National Guard in 1933-1936. It provided stables for the national guard horses and sergeant’s quarters until approximately 1942 when
World War II began.   

The national guard of Newcastle was given many accolades as they were ranked the outstanding Unit in State of Wyoming.   

In 1996, the Newcastle National Guard officially moved to its parent company located in Gillette, Wyo., which was during the terms of Gov. Mike Sullivan, Sen. John Barasso, and Sen. Malcom Wallop.  

The reason given for the transfer to Gillette was that Newcastle experienced a 40% reduction in guards.  

 

(Sources include Weston County, Wyoming First 100 years, News Letter Journal articles, and Wyoming National Guard Museum.)

Category:

News Letter Journal

News Letter Journal
14 W. Main St.
P.O. Box 40
Newcastle, WY 82701
Ph: (307) 746-2777
Fax: (307) 746-2660

Email Us

Facebook

Please Login for Premium Content